Being a childminder can be quite lucrative for those living in the United Kingdom. In North America the position is called similar to running a daycare provider or nursery. Here you are responsible for not one child or family, but many children simultaneously. This is what makes them different from a standard nanny job.
It is not too difficult to become a childminder as there are not strict rules or regulations that applicants must adhere to. There are requirements that cannot be overlooked such as the age requirement; all applicants must be over the age of 18. Also, they must have taken and passed an introductory training course to home-based childcare approved by the local authority, pediatric first aid training, child protection awareness, as well as food and safety hygiene courses.
There are many schools that are geared towards providing an education for those looking to get into the field. This makes it much easier as you will be guided with others through courses and real life training to help prepare you for the actual job. Not only will you have passed all the classes by the time you graduate, but also usually you will have a job lined up. There are also online classes available to make it as easy and convenient as possible.
- Must pass a twelve hour pediatric first aid course
- Food hygiene classes
- Child protection and safeguarding classes
- Child-minding classes that teach you how to create and maintain a home based business
- Must take pre-registration briefing session
- Completed a local authority approved training course
- Some classes require English and Match courses
- Complete medical check from a doctor and background check from local authorities
- Application fees are £35
- Watch children grow up that you looked after
- You can work from home
- If you have children of your own you can care for them simultaneously
- You chose the services you offer and hours you work
- Everyday is exciting and full of adventure
- Feeling of doing good by helping others
- Network with others in your industry
- Make life long friends and connections
It is important to understand how children develop and learn. You want to be able to communicate and teach the child, not only watch over them. These are instrumental years that shape their future so it is important to show them affection and teach them new things. This is something not often taught in class, but realized after working in the field for a few years. You are preparing these children for the future.
Childminders are required to operate in line with current legislation. This includes insurance, data protection, record keeping, and safeguarding children. The nice aspects about the job are that you set your own hours to some extent, get paid a decent rate, and you get to go home at the end of the day knowing you helped impact someone’s life in a positive way.
There is also room for growth if you decide to further your education more jobs become available that pay higher wages. There are Level 2 Certificates or Level 3 Diplomas for the Children and Young People’s Workforce. What this does is allow you to wok in a nurseries or reception classes.